International Islamic University Chittagong (IIUC) is one of the top graded government approved private universities in Bangladesh. Having fulfilled the requirements as laid down in the Private University Act of 1992, and after obtaining the necessary clearance from University Grants Commission (UGC), and the permission of Government of Bangladesh (GOB) through the Ministry of Education, International Islamic University Chittagong (IIUC) started functioning on February 11, 1995. The credit for the idea of establishing this University goes to International Islamic University Chittagong Trust (IIUCT).
IIUC CAMPUS: Unlike most private Universities in Bangladesh, IIUC is blessed with a beautiful campus situated at Kumira, Chittagong, surrounded by gentle hills that carry a message of protection and perfection in beauty where both Teachers and Students can devote themselves to create Knowledge. This campus is also not very far from the Bay of Bengal but about 24km away from the bustle of the city.
In 2004 IIUC was recognized as one of the 9 top-graded Private Universities by a Government-appointed High Powered Team led by the UGC Chairman. At present, it is the largest private university with teachers about 400 (Full time: 270 & Adjunct: 100) and students around 12000 from home and abroad. A good number of full-time teachers and students are studying abroad for pursuing higher studies with IIUC’s scholarship or financial assistance .The Graduation degrees of CSE & CCE are accredited by the BAETE. IIUC grants waiver, generous financial assistances and scholarships to the students at different rates depending on the results of their previous examinations and financial condition. IIUC participated in different national and international contests, winning prizes for obtaining prestigious positions. IIUC successfully organized ten International Conferences on different important issues relating to education, ethics and Islamization of knowledge. It also arranged ‘National Computer Programming Contest’ (NCPC-2004) in collaboration with the Ministry of Science & ICT and Bangladesh Computer Council (BCC) as part of its regular programs.
Legal Aspect: IIUC framed its own Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations governing the manifold activities of IIUC – academic, administrative, financial, student welfare, discipline etc. as per the Private University Act, 1992, 1998 and revised Act, 2010. Most statutory bodies formed under the provisions of the Act have since then been functioning.
The Mission of the University is to produce through the pursuit of education properly trained up manpower to contribute to socio-economic development and moral upliftment of the society and to cultivate in our students expertise as well as ethical sensitivity, intelligence and an ability to think independently beyond their areas of study, so that they can sustain justice in all walks of life.
The Vision of the University is to offer nationally competitive and internationally recognized opportunities for learning to make this University as the Centre of Excellence in different areas of scholarship, like Shari’ah and Islamic Studies, Business Studies, Social Science, Science & Engineering, Arts & Humanities, Law, and such other faculties that will be introduced in future. Its door is open to the admission seekers from all over the world, regardless of race, region and religion. This university cherishes the dream of becoming one of the highest seat of learning and creator of knowledge in the South East Asia.
The objective of the University:
- To create a new generation of competent youths, who will be equipped with academic excellence, professional expertise and adorned with moral height.
- To follow a policy of continued Modernization of Knowledge and academic curricula in different disciplines of education so that its students can imbibe the true spirit of religious value as an effective guiding principle in their profession and daily life.
The Motto of the University is to “Combine Quality with Morality”.
Faculties of the University:
The following five faculties are now functioning at IIUC
- Faculty of Shariah & Islamic Studies
- Faculty of Sciences & Engineering
- Faculty of Business Studies
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Social Sciences
Academic Programs Offered:
a) Four Year Bachelor’s Programs in
1. Qur’anic Sciences and Islamic Studies, BA (Hons)
2. Da’wah and Islamic Studies, BA (Hons)
3. Science of Hadith and Islamic Studies, BA (Hons)
4. Computer Science & Engineering, B.Sc. Engg,
5. Computer & Communication Engineering, B.Sc. Engg.
6. Electrical & Electronic Engineering, B.Sc. Engg.
7. Electronic & Telecommunication Engineering, B.Sc. Engg.
8. Pharmacy, B. Pharm. (Hons).
9. Business Administration, BA.
10. Economics and Banking, BSS (Hons).
11. English Language & Literature, BA (Hons).
12. Law (LL.B Hons)
b) Masters Programs in
1. Qur’anic Sciences and Islamic Studies, MA.
2. Da’wah and Islamic Studies, MA.
3. Business Administration (Regular), MBA.
4. Business Administration (Evening), MBA
5. Bank Management. , MBA
6. Economics and Banking, MSS
7. English Language & Literature. (Preliminary & Final), MA
8. Law (Preliminary & Final), (LL.M)
9. Islamic Studies, MA.
10.Computer Sciences. M.Sc.
c) 2 years LL.B (Pass) Program
d) Certificate & Diploma Programs:
1. Diploma in Computer Science
2. Certificate and Diploma in Arabic Language
3. Post Graduate Diploma in Library & Information Science
4. Certificate Course in Chinese Language
IIUC has signed formal academic collaboration agreement, Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), with the following organizations. The MoU includes credit transfer facility and teachers & students exchange program etc.
- Islamic Foundation, Leicester,UK (1998)
- International Islamic University Malaysia (1998)
- Tri-shakti University, Indonesia (2004)
- Multimedia University Malaysia( 2004)
- M Asian Institute of Technology, (2004)
- Portland State University, USA (2005)
- Al Imam University of Riyad (2007)
- Tribhuvan University, Nepal-(2009)
- Ministry of Education, Maldives(2010)
- Al Azhari University, Sudan (2013)
- Islamic University Omdurman, Sudan (2013)
- Sokoto State Government, Nigeria (2013)
- International Islamic University Islamabad-(2013)
- University of Management and Technology, Pakistan(2013)
- Cape Breton University,Canada (2014)
- Universiti Technologi Mara, Malaysia (2015)
- Universiti Malaysia Perlis-Malaysia
- Istanbul Sabahattin Zaim University(2015)
- Al Madinah International University, Malaysia (2015).
- Hubei University of Technology, China(2015)
The following Research Jornals are being published regularly under the Centre for Research & Publication(CRP)
- IIUC Studies:A peer Reviewed Research Journal(published in English).
- Dirasal al-Jamiah Al-Islamiyyah al Alamiyyah(An Arabic Peer Reviewed Research Journal published annually)
- Business Review- A Peer Reviewed Research Journal of Business: Published in English annually.